Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan 2011: Honoring Grassroots Struggles for the Environment
The Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan (GBK) is an awards event and lecture series honoring Filipino heroes and heroines who have defended the environment and people’s rights.
The Philippines is endowed with rich natural resources that can support the country’s national development and ensure that the Filipino people can live in peace and prosperity. For the past century, however, our environment has gone through severe destruction and depletion. The degradation of our ecosystems has proceeded alongside poverty and the dislocation of communities from their lands and livelihoods.
In the face of these worsening environmental and socio-economic impacts, many among the Filipino people have offered their talents, efforts, time, and even their lives to defend the rights of the people and the country’s national patrimony. These heroes and heroines serve as an inspiration for the generations to come.
In salute and recognition of these struggles, the Center for Environmental Concerns, in cooperation with Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan Awards Committee and the GBK’s collaborating organizations, is pleased to launch the Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan 2011 (GBK 2011), an awards event and lecture series recognizing exemplary individuals and organizations who have become part of the people’s movement to defend our environment, lives, and rights.
Following a nationwide process of nomination and selection, the GBK honors a roster of seven awardees composed of three individuals, three organizations and most exemplary individual or organization. The lecture series is a forum for dialogue, education and learning between the awardees and the general public. It aims to establish a regular Philippine civil society organization mechanism to recognize, promote, and draw public awareness to the efforts of nameless individuals and communities who have selflessly spearheaded or helped lead significant environmental struggles and the protection of basic rights.
The Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan aims to:
a. To promote awareness of critical environmental issues and the situation of communities directly relying on the natural resources
b. To recognize the valiant struggles of the people to defend the environment, lives, and rights, to serve as an example and lesson to the people who continue to confront similar challenges.
c. To recognize the exemplary deeds and initiatives of simple individuals and organizations who have contributed to the upholding the environment and people’s welfare at the national and/or local levels
d. To strengthen the link between the sustainable preservation and conservation of the environment with the struggle for social, economic, and political rights.
Seven recipients of the Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan will be chosen by the Board of Judges: composed of three (3) individuals (Gawad sa Indibidwal), three (3) organizations (Gawad sa Organisasyon) and a recipient of the Natatanging Gawad (Most Distinguished Award).
From a shortlist of ten awardees, the Board of Judges will choose one (1) recipient of theNatatanging Gawad (Most Distinguished Award), in recognition his/her/their being an inspiration and example to the Filipino people for offering time and talents for the defense of the environment and advancement of the people’s welfare.
Gawad sa Indibidwal (Individual Award) – Awarded to individuals who have demonstrated extraordinary ability and effort to uphold the environment and people’s welfare, whether in the form of advocacy, campaigns, education, research, technology development, community services, mass media, or cultural work.
Gawad sa Organisasyon (Award for Organizations) – Awarded to people’s and community organizations and institutions that have demonstrated unity in upholding the welfare of the people and of the environment by exemplary actions and advocacy, campaigns, education, research, technology development, community services, mass media, or cultural work.
Guidelines and Requirements for Nominations
1. The Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan may be awarded to individuals and organizations advancing significant and valiant struggles or exemplary initiatives to defend the environment and the Filipino people’s rights to their natural resources.
2. Each prospective awardee for the Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan must be nominated by at least two individuals, organizations, communities, or institutions.
3. Individuals or organizations can not nominate themselves for the Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan.
4. Please send two (2) hard copies each of the nomination forms and required documents stated below and one (1) electronic copy saved in a CD (Adobe or PDF format), sealed in a long brown envelope, addressed to the Secretariat of the Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan (see mailing address below), personally delivered or postmarked on or before 12 midnight of 15 July 2011.
5. Documents submitted must not exceed 30 pages all in all.
6. Documents submitted for nominations will not be returned.
7. Nominations and documents should be written in English or Filipino.
8. Please address all completed nomination documents to:
Gawad Bayani ng Kalikasan Secretariat
#26 Matulungin Street, Barangay Central, Diliman,
Quezon City, Philippines 1101