April 18, 2010
An arts festival and a forum exposing the real state of the Philippine Environment will highlight this year’s celebration of EARTH DAY in Southern Tagalog tomorrow, April 19 (Tuesday) at the University of the Philippines Los Baños campus located on the foot of the majestic Mt Makiling.
Organized by environmental alliance, Kalikasan Environmental Action Movement, the one-day Earth Day festival features series of arts activities such as Photo Exhibition, Lantern Lighting, Face and Mural Painting, and Earth Day concert with various calls to end foreign large scale mining and destructive ‘development’ efforts, seek justice to environmental activists, promote national industrialization and climate change justice, among others.
Highlight of the event is the Earth Day Forum with invited speakers to talk on the State of Philippine Environment, Mining Situation and the plight of Indigenous Peoples in the region and the country at large.
Earth Day is celebrated worldwide every 22nd day of April to honor the environment.
10:00 Photo Exhibit Opening- CAS Annex 2 Lobby
1:00-4:00 Earth Day Forum- ACCI Auditorium
1. Ms Lisa Ito-Tapang, Center for Environmental Concerns Philippines
2. Representative from Integrated Dev’t Program for Indigenous People- ST
3. Prof. Emmanuel Dumlao, Dept of Humanities, CAS-UPLB
6:00-7:00 Giant Lantern/Candle Lighting Ceremony for Nature – Carabao Park
7:00-10:00 musiKALIKASAN Earth Day Jam- LB Square
1. Photos in the Exhibit and Face Painting
2. Giant Lantern/Candle Lighting Ceremony with Calls
3. Interview with Forum Speakers on the state of PHL environment
4. Interview audience on their views on Earth Day & Environment
5. Cultural Night- Performers, Mural Painting and Messages
MEDIA COVERAGE IS HIGHLY REQUESTED!!!
Contact: Edge, 09157561326